Just like the previous mile, The Spirit of Resistance, the second mile of Jefferson’s Road continues the popular quote theme. Here are the quotes (so far!) found in Patriots and Tyrants:
The ten most frightening words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help you.’
- Ronald Reagan
Confession is always weakness. The grave soul keeps its own secrets, and takes its own punishment in silence.
- Dorothy Dix
The center of your culture is left without electric power for a few hours only, and all of a sudden crowds of American citizens start looting and creating havoc. The smooth surface film must be very thin. Your social system must be quite unstable and unhealthy.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn, lecture to Harvard
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
- Edward Abbey
Dissemble no more! I admit the deed!
- Edgar Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart
The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance.
- John Philpot Curran, Speech upon the Right of Election for Lord Mayor of Dublin, 1790
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.
- Patrick Henry, Speech before the Virginia Convention, 1775
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
- George Orwell, Animal Farm
Who will save us from Western Civilization?
- Georg Lukacs
…the long march through the institutions.
- Rudi Dutschke, 1967, summarizing Antonio Gramsci’s strategy to convert Western culture to Marxism.
- advocated by Herbert Marcuse in Eros and Civilization, 1955
Know your enemies and know yourself. You can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
- Sun-Tzu, The Art of War