I feel as though a log-jam has just broken. For some time now I’ve felt a little stuck on Eye of Darkness, plodding away with little increments here and there, just sort of slogging my way through the chapters. But something’s changed over the last two days, and I’ve been cranking out content like mad. I think I’m nearing the end of the story, and I can sense it coming. My current word count is around 67,000, which is about 4,500 words more than it was just two days ago. I don’t know yet how many words the story will have by the time it’s finished, but I’m only 8,000 away from my minimal threshold. I have a feeling I’m going to be pushing 80K or better by the time I’m done.
Today’s effort has been a stretch in a different way. My characters encountered a faerie who speaks in limericks almost exclusively. Since this morning, I’ve composed eleven of them. Fortunately, he’s gone now, so I can get back to normal dialogue. I’m sure he’ll pop up again before I’m done, though.
As it is, I have high hopes of being finished in another week or so. If I can keep up this pace tomorrow as well, I’ll be within striking distance of the end. And this will mean that Eye of Darkness was written in only six months. Less, if you consider that I set it to one side while I finished composing The Elixir of Life. I’ve certainly gotten faster with this effort–but I’m done yet. God willing, I’ll be able to crank out two more before next April. I’ve got both Topheth and The Tree of Liberty waiting in the wings.
All in all, though, it’s been a satisfying two days!